El Paso / Juarez Dec. 2013
Note: This trip is for 2013.
Mission Immersion Trip for Deacons & Wives
El Paso, Texas / Juarez, Mexico:
Feast of Our Lady of Guadalupe
Join us for a cross-cultural mission immersion trip to learn more about the realities of the border between Mexico and the U.S.
El Paso, Texas and Juarez, Mexico are communities joined at the hip but separated by border. Join us for this opportunity to observe, learn about, and put a human face to border issues as well as explore the realities, complexities and interconnectedness of these two cities. See first hand how economic and immigration policies affect people in Mexico as well as the United States and explore how we are linked to our Mexican sisters and brothers in the bonds of global solidarity.
Tuesday, December 10 to Friday, December 13, 2012
Immersion trip includes:
- Pre-trip orientation
- On-site introduction to the cultural, economic, and political realities of the border, led by local community and Pastoral leaders
- Seminars on the current realities and context of mission in Mexico and around the world
- Daily communal prayer, liturgies and theological reflection
- Participation in the local prayer and celebrations of the feast of Our Lady of Guadalupe, with the option of visiting the Juarez, Mexico Cathedral for daily Mass on the feast day (December 12th)
- A look at the ministries of the Church in El Paso, including evangelization outreach within the El Paso Diocese and the Church of St. Patrick in the Canutillo Colonia and other programs for recent immigrants
- Visit, prayer and reflection at the US side of the border fence
- Post-trip debriefing and reflection
- Credits for Continuing Education
For more information about the
Maryknoll Deacon Mission Partners Program
Visit our website at www.deacon.maryknoll.us
Estimated costs and travel particulars:
For more information contact:
Deacon Matt Dulka
Maryknoll Fathers & Brothers
16642 Ashland Ave.
San Lorenzo CA 94580
- Arrive on the afternoon/evening of Tues., Dec. 10th
- Departure in the afternoon /evening of Fri., Dec.13th
- Room at Retreat Center, meals, and local transportation included in trip cost of $500 (estimated)
- Participants are responsible for air travel to and from El Paso, Texas airport
- Passport required to cross the border for the Mass at the Juarez Cathedral (Visa not required)